Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A head and concrete collide

The last twenty-four hours have been one of my frightening experiences as a mother. Yesterday while at middle school orientation C was standing and waiting for me as I talked to one of F'a therapists who has a chile enrolled at the same school. She said she needed to sit. She slid down the post bumped into something out stood up too quickly and fainted. I proceeded to watch her in slow motion, yet too fast to do anything, fall flat on the concrete and the this that her head made as it impacted the concrete  cannot be erased from my mind. 

As I came to her side she had a fixed look to her eyes and was unresponsive then she became rigid. There were a few moms with me. We rolled her to her side. She became a little rigid and then all at once she came to. She wasn't confused just asked why she was laying o. The ground. The goose egg on the back of her head was the size of a golf ball. Another mom called 911. That one of the longest waits of my life. 

The first responders were great. They talked with her then had her on the back board and neck stabilized and in the ambulance very quickly. Everything moved pretty quick from that point. 

After arriving at the ER, C was assed very quickly. A CT was ordered along with x-rays of her left arm. She had an abrasion on the back of her head thankfully she didn't need stitches. Her arm was swollen and had abrasions on it. I was trying so hard to keep it together all evening. After getting the results of her scans much to my relief no fractures and no visible bleeds. Diagnosis is a concussion. 

I'm not going to get into anymore details of the evening. Except that one resident and another doctor who came from another department to admit her were not skilled in their bedside manners. I've put in my time at the hospitals and I understand there is a process to things and doctors are trying to do their jobs but to forget that tact and patience can go a lot farther when speaking to their patients particularly children and the disabled. 

I'll post again about c's recovery. For now she's doing better. She didn't end up being admitted after getting her nausea under control, sleeping, keeping some juice down, and sleeping for an hour. We got home about 2 am. I learned a lot about the recovery process for concussions it's a slow patient process and nothing to sneeze at. Many prayers are being said for her for a speedy recovery. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear, what a terrible, frightening thing to happen! I hope C's recovery is quick. <3

    ReplyDelete