Wednesday, March 21, 2012

To Leave or Not Leave When My Boy is Sick :(

Last Friday upon my return from swim practice, I walked in took one look at my boy and I knew he was getting sick.  Cough, cough, cough was all I heard him do that day... although not unusual for the spring season the amount of coughing was.  I asked if he felt like he was getting sick and a resounding "yes" response came from him.  I was torn.

The next day I was scheduled to get C up bright and early to be not he road for an out of town swim meet.  We were only traveling an hour away from home.  I knew I could return if needed.  I knew F would be in R's care (his dad)... but the pit in my stomach was there and it was all I could do to think about leaving.  R assured me he would be attentive and on the respiratory care.  R does a good job with almost everything for F, but there are times when he gets distracted or doesn't notice the little signs and signals F's been giving him that say "I need something" until it's too late.  And let's face it, it's a mom thing.

My anxiety was at an all new level after having F wake me up at 3:25 in the morning in full respiratory distress and fever.  He was panting.  Fever 101.6 axillary.  Respirations to many to count.  We have an O2 sat monitor he was at 89 and his HR was 150!!! I was freaking.  I immediately started albuteral. Stripped him down to a t-shirt.  Wiped him down with a cool cloth.  Within just a few minutes of the albuteral his numbers started to rise an fall.  By it's completion he was up to 94/95 and his heart rate was at 132.  I gave him a cup of water and some tylenol.  I got him calm and comfortable and went back to bed by 4:20 or so.  The alarm was set for 5 am!

R thankfully awoke at the early hour upon hearing about the crisis during the night.  He packed our ice chest and filled our thermoses.  He was already on my computer printing a med list.  Had it planned to call on-call doctor and get F to urgent care.  We both knew a prednisone burst would be necessary.  Much to my relief R was on it with a plan.  I was so torn to leave, but knew that R needed to be able to come through for us girls so that we could get away for the meet.  R also needed to show F that dad can come through and take care of business when it needs to be done.  The two of them have been bonding a lot while I'm gone with C at swim practice each night.  I think it's been good for the two guys to not only work on their communication, but for R to work on being a better partner and assistant to F.  It's been nice to see them grow closer.

But the truth is when F is sick... I HATE to be that far away from him. He's pretty stable with his health, but that asthma and respiratory piece combined can cause sudden crisis and I'd hate to not have my opportunity to be with him.  I know what a way to think the worst!  But most kids I've known like F didn't make it to adulthood they died in some state of respiratory illness or distress between 8 and 12.  I've... we've been so lucky to have F almost 19 years now.

To make a long story short... R handled the illness with flying colors.  He pulled night shift respiratory duty the night I was gone.  He did a really good job for F as his nurse/respiratory therapist this weekend.   I didn't worry too much while I was gone.  C and I enjoyed our weekend... only to return with colds ourselves. F hasn't quite returned to his baseline, but he'll get there.  How we all love that kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment