Sunday, March 4, 2012

Being 12 is so Hard!

After this weekend's swimming,  I am finally to the root of what bothers my girl.  She swam "horrible" in her words today. She was ready to quit and throw in the towel.  This is not an option. I told her you can't quit.  You have to redefine your goals and focus on your training.  Quitting is like giving up and that is just not possible.

I talked with her coach about this.  He also mentioned that she's swimming much less than the other girls. That due to illness and injury he thinks she's lost her drive.  I talked with her about this.  She admitted she's afraid to get injured again and has taken on some bad habits out of fear.  He also mentioned that he has a lot of girls in his group.  That she's used to it being just her and one other girl and that C just needs to get in there with them and make friends.

C and I talked about this information from her coach.  I think it was very helpful to know how her practices were going to have a conversation about where she can be accountable for her swimming. The changes she can make to swim better.  She said she's ready to work hard and try to get to her goals.  So now quitting is off the table.  Such a relief!  She loves the water.

I also inquired further with my daughter about the "getting in there" and making to work it with the other girls.  To this I was informed that she's not really interested in a lot of the same things as they are.  That she doesn't like to hear them talk about other people badly.  Preteen and early teen girls are tough.  They aren't old enough to be big, and they aren't young enough to be small.  Some want to grow up way too fast.  I asked her point blank if she felt too immature to be doing that cliquey stuff and she said yes.  She just wants to have fun.  I also know that C doesn't want to grow up.  She wants to stay young.  Puberty is not a welcomed friend to her.

Being 12 is so hard... will it get easier at 13?

No comments:

Post a Comment