Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Change is in our Future

My daughter told me after her swim practice last night that "no one on the team cares about each other anymore." Words that made me so sad. I was even more saddened to hear that she had to take the new poster around to all of the swimmers and ask them to sign it.  That there was no discussion about what had occurred on the one swimmers poster.  Nor, have I heard through the grapevine that there was any discussion regarding the use of the offensive nickname.

It saddens my heart deeply to hear my daughter talk about how much fun her team used to be.  How everyone was like family.  That they had pride and team spirit.  She said it's just not the same since the club fired her beloved coach last summer.

My perspective is that any extra curricular activity my daughter participates in should bring her joy and happiness.  She should look forward to going and participating.  She loves the water and I fear that if we stay on this course she may lose her love and passion for swimming.  Something that brought her great pride and joy at one time.  I understand it could be her age.  Many swimmers lose interest at between the ages of 11-14.  But when there is a less than positive atmosphere I think it makes it more challenging.

Change is never easy, but is always necessary to grow as individuals.  Perhaps it's time for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment