Monday, February 20, 2012

F has Technology Will Send Email

F's AT/AAC team came today.  They got his wheelchair mount appropriately attached to the chair.  They set up his Maestro for him.  He was so excited.  The newest thing he learned was how to draft and send an email.  He was very happy to be able to have the ability to do this task independently from me.

I was at the store getting some tea bags to attempt to treat his abscessed cyst on his cheek (that's another story). I opened my email to see that he had sent me a message.  Although, it wasn't the most well thought out email, it was an independent email sent by him.  I was so excited.

Today was a really great day for F. He has waited many years to have this type of device.  I can remember reading about children who used them and thinking "I wish F could do the same."  I no longer have to wish.  He has one.  He has had the ability to use a switch with his head for years.  He can hear.  He can follow dialogue.  He can follow directions.  All of these things the district staff refused to believe he could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment