Sunday, March 11, 2012

Shamrockin Half-Marathon

I got myself up this morning to do my first official half-marathon since the Nike Women's half in 2010. This is the first race that I've done without a friend to drive or run with. I was supposed to run with a friend. But I could never find her. So I ran my own race.

I hooked up with the 2:10 pacer thinking that would be the appropriate easy pace for me. The virtual half I did in January was around that time. Of course, I had my dogs with me and I didn't taper. When I awoke this morning I had slight calf cramps and I had started my period. So that also lead me to believe the 2:10 goal would be good.

After the first mile and a half I decided I needed to ditch that 2:10 pace guy. That pace was too slow and since I never found my friend I might as well just leave all i had on the course. I put both headphones in and found a pace to settle into. I found a lady who was a good pace for me so I stuck with her until the last mile. She began pulling away at the last drink station and I just didn't have it in me to catch her.

I finished, according to my Garmin, at 2:02.66. My best half since 2008. I don't remember what I ran that year. My parkway half in the same year was 2:01 and my best half ever was 1:59. So not too shabby considering I rarely do speed work or run with a plan.

Signs held up along the way:

"Run like an angry Kenyan"
"Your running 13.1 because your only half crazy"
"Even if you walk it will still hurt"
"Forget everything you did before this point, you only have your best 10k to run"

I love spectators they really help keep you motivated.  The volunteers are so greatly appreciated too!

No comments:

Post a Comment