Friday, May 24, 2013

7th Grade Comes to an End

C's first year back in an educational system is finally coming to an end.  She is considered to be an 8th grader now.  This year has not been without it's many challenges.  She bumped into a new group at swim in the beginning of the school year.  Along with a new coach and all new teachers it was quite a year for her.

She did pretty well.  We discovered that she definitely has ADD inattentive form.  It's always been suspected and we tried medication at the beginning of the year.  Since it was her option, she decided she was doing well without it and wanted to stop taking it.  After a rocky few months and some extremely challenging days she began taking the medication again in March... CONSISTENTLY.  I noticed that her grades were stabilizing.  She was surprised she wasn't being told on a regular basis that she wasn't paying attention or listening.  She was was just easier to direct and seemed to be able to keep herself on task.  Teachers noticed an improvement and so did her swim coaches.

It wasn't until recently that I had teachers tell me how forgetful she was with assignments and due dates.   One teacher remarked that she seemed uninterested, but then said she realized she needed more processing time. Others said they'd like to see her more engaged.  One thing I've discovered about private school is that C bored with their curriculum.  She has an A in English which shocked me since having home schooled her I felt her work was C the majority of the time, B at best.  She was in advanced math, taking Algebra as a 7th grader and that was beneficial.  I wish they had advanced science and history.  To look at her report card she is doing well.  It does not reflect the challenges that she has.  Look at the regular assignments and you see where she falters.  Overall, I believe she is extremely bright, but has challenges.  I'm hoping our insurance covers a thorough assessment of her.

I did okay with this year.  There are just some things that I can't handle.  I don't like being told that certain after school activities are "mandatory."  REally?  Isn't that MY time with my child?  You have her all day and you want her after hours for activities.  I realize that with my experiences with F and his school district, that I really am untrusting of any entity that is educating my child.  That their father and I know what is best for them.  That we determine what is mandatory and what is not.  In my mind there are just some things that educational institutions do that I just think are stupid.  I don't like the atmosphere that puts an emphasis on following rules and formats that suit an average majority.  Don't get me wrong, the small Christian private school does a GREAT job overall of focusing on individual children.  It has it's positives and negatives.  I realize there is just no perfect solution and that my experiences have tainted any view I will have of a fair and appropriate education system.  I just can't undo that way of thinking.

We've enrolled her the school again for 8th grade.  She wants to return, but if she continues to tell me how bored she is with the curriculum we may have to make changes.  For now the friendship and learning to work in that environment has been valuable.  I'll wait and see what modifications may be necessary if any with her assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment