Tuesday, April 3, 2012

19 is the Number of the Day ;)

I can't believe it!  My boy is celebrating his 19th birthday today.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think we may see this milestone.  I know that sounds terrible, but the ugly reality is that many kids with the health problems that he has (primarily the asthma and restricted lung capacity) survive into adulthood. I feel so lucky!

I can't even imagine how F feels.  I often wonder if he has ever thought about his own life span or mortality or if he has felt that he was close to dying.  I just have never had the courage to ask him.  I've asked him before if he's angry about his disabilities.  He has replied yes on some occasions and no on others.  I would imagine like me it's a mixed thing.  He only knows this life.  He cannot miss what he's never really had.  I know there was a time when he was VERY angry at the district for not providing him valuable services.  I know at times he gets frustrated because he can never catch up he's so behind and it's harder now as an adult to make progress.  I think he's done a fabulous job of making the best of everything he's been dealt.

Today I am grateful to say that I am blessed to have F in my life for these years.  Thankful, for all he has taught me.  My life is so much richer because of all that he brings to it.

Happy birthday, F!  I can't wait to celebrate your 20th next year.   I hope your day will be as special as you are.  I love you to the moon and back!

No comments:

Post a Comment