Thursday, April 12, 2012

My son the hopeless romantic?

Yesterday, I learned something about F. Perhaps I've always known, but just didn't put a lot of stock into the thought.  My son is hopeless romantic I was informed by Mary, his new paraeducator.

"What?" I say.

Mary, "Yes, he is indeed.  I realized that when we read The Hunger Games together during the Peeta and Katniss parts."

A hopeless romantic... who knew.  So I ask F,  "Is that why you wanted The Time Traveler's Wife?"

He replied "yes." (I thought he was just being kind and polite to his sister sharing her interests.)

Me, "So that means that you really do want to see and read that horrible Twilight series... not because you want to make fun of how big Edward's head is, but because your a hopeless romantic???"

He replied, "yes" vocally and with his head turn.

He finds my shock and awe reaction completely funny. My head is spinning... really?  Twilight?  I think I'll throw up.  I am not a hopeless romantic.  The thought of listening to that entire Twilight series book/or movie is a tortuous thought. Of course, I would do it for him, but he knows it comes at a price of me making fun of it the whole time.  I'd do almost anything for this boy.  The first novel was BORING and the only entertaining part about the movie was comparing Edward's giant head to everyone else's.  I love a good tragedy with lots of suffering and agony, yet both of my children love a great love story.

This enlightening news brings me back our reality. My son will never marry or have children. He likes the pretty ladies.  He's always had a way with them.  Men and boys really have never had a lot to do with him with the exception of a few.  F is a guy through and through. He loves sports and loves anyone to sit and talk sports with him.  He loves a great action flick and just about anything with fighting and a weapon.  But this hopeless romantic piece tells me his heart may yearn for companionship in a way that he may never receive.  It saddens me so deeply.  I realize if I could enlarge his world and the people that he meets, perhaps I may be wrong... I just don't want to get our hopes up.  People can be so disappointing.


No comments:

Post a Comment